Hola, it’s that time of the year again!
December – The Christmas month. It’s when we celebrate the birth of Jesus Christ. Isn’t it all about cakes, greetings, presents, lights, etc? Is it? No! Christmas is something beyond that. It’s all about happiness, love, and joy and more importantly remembering the birth of Christ as Christmas marks to be the greatest event in the history of human race. It is the night when god stooped down from heaven and became a human being. On that night the bible says,” The word became flesh and made his dwelling among us” (John 1:14)
On this auspicious time, I remember an extraordinary verse from the bible which is quoted in Isaiah: 9:6,
“For to us a child is born, to us a son is given”
Sometimes I just wonder how beautifully the word of god (Bible) is written,
Who is this son?
Who is this child?
Why is it quoted as the child is born and the son is given and if the son is given then definitely there must be someone who gave the son? So, who is the giver? Bible says in John 3:16 as,
“For god so loved the world that he gave his one and only son. So that everyone who believes in him will not perish but have eternal life”
So, it is god who gave his one and only son. But, why?
“He gave himself as a ransom for everyone” (1 Timothy 2:6)
Yes! The son of god was born as a ransom for everyone – For you & me. He was born so that everyone who believes in him will not perish instead have an eternal life.
Now, the Christ is born but where’s the news? Someone would have got the news about the birth of Christ. Did anyone? Yes – The Shepherds.
The first good news about the birth of Christ was given to shepherds by the angels which is quoted in Luke 2:8-14,
- And there were shepherds living out in the fields nearby, keeping watch over their flocks at night.
- An angel of the Lord appeared to them, and the glory of the Lord shone around them, and they were terrified.
- But the angel said to them, “Do not be afraid. I bring you good news that will cause great joy for all the people.
- Today in the town of David a Savior has been born to you; he is the Messiah, the Lord.
- This will be a sign to you: You will find a baby wrapped in cloths and lying in a manger.”
- Suddenly a great company of the heavenly host appeared with the angel, praising God and saying,
- “Glory to God in the highest heaven, and on earth peace to those on whom his favor rests.”
But, why only the Shepherds first?Jesus says in John 10:11,
“I am the good shepherd. The good shepherd lays down his life for the sheep”
Yes. Jesus is the good shepherd and as he said that, ‘The good shepherd lays down his life for the sheep’ he laid his life for us as the ransom of our sins and he did die on the cross for our sins and so he said, “I am the good shepherd”
Okay. So, who is the reason for this season?
Santa? – No.
Gifts? – No.
Jesus? – Yes.
Jesus is the only reason for this beautiful season!
P.S: You may have heard the Christmas story a hundred times. This year, deepen your understanding.
Merry Christmas, folks!